History

Sara Hayden / Half Moon Bay Review
Reprinted with permission

In 1868, a few fellows came together and signed a charter, and a few more followed with names that now echo throughout Half Moon Bay. There’s Alves, Bettencourt, Cunha, Debenedetti, Dutra, Miramontes, Silva and more.

Each had his own claim to fame, but collectively they formed the Half Moon Bay Odd Fellows. Celebrating its 150th anniversary in the new year, the organization’s legacy is ingrained in the Coastside’s history.

Noble Grand Joe Brennan and Trustee Nancy Margulies discuss the history of Odd Fellows on KHMB Radio, February 15, 2018.

 

The main symbol of the IOOF is the three chain links, sometimes with the letters F, L and T inside them, which stand for Friendship, Love, and Truth.

The All-Seeing Eye

seeingeye

To us, the all-seeing eye represents the universal spiritual presence that is embodied in all of us as we do good work for our community, for our environment, and for all mankind.

Read more about symbols